Solodyn is classified as a tetracycline antibiotic. It is used to treat pimples that occur with moderate to severe acne in people 12 year and older. Solodyn only works for inflammatory acne.
Solodyn has been linked to hyperpigmentation, a darkening of an area of skin or nails that is caused by an increased level of melanin. This has occurred in patients taking Solodyn in nails, bone, skin, eyes, thyroid, visceral tissue, oral cavity, sclerae and heart valves.
There was also a Solodyn recall in 2008, after it was discovered that bottles from two different batches of the drug contained a completely different medication. These bottles—thought to be the acne medication—actually contained Azasan, an immunosuppressant given to patients who had undergone an organ transplant. Taking this drug instead of the prescribed drug is very dangerous and put patients in serious danger. The FDA attributed this mistake to manufacturing problems and failures in quality checks. The manufacturer of the batch was AAIPharma, Inc.
Serious side effects may include:
- Stomach cramps, diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- Flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat
- Pale or yellowed skin, weakness, dark colored urine, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin
- Fever, skin rash, bruising, severe tingling or numbness, muscle weakness
- Upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Chest pain, irregular heart rhythm, cough, wheezing, feeling short of breath
- Confusion, vomiting, swelling, weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all
- Headache or pain behind your eyes, ringing in your ears, vision problems
- Joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, general ill feeling, unusual thoughts or behavior, and/or seizure (convulsions)
- Severe skin reaction — fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling
Less serious side effects may include:
- Dizziness, tired feeling, spinning sensation
- Joint or muscle pain
- Discoloration of your skin or nails
- Mild nausea, mild diarrhea, upset stomach
- Mild skin rash or itching
- Swollen tongue, discoloration of your gums
- Vaginal itching or discharge