DePuy Hip Replacement
Many people, especially the elderly and athletes, suffer from hip injuries and disorders such as fractures and dislocations. To help with this medical condition, over 90,000 Americans with hip injuries were fitted with DePuy hip replacement systems during 2003 to 2010. These metal-on-metal hip devices were designed to help reduce pelvic discomfort, pain and improve movement and overall quality of life.
On August 24, 2010, the DePuy hip replacement devices – the ASR XL Acetabular Hip Systems and the ASR Hip Resurfacing Systems – were recalled. This action resulted from reports that about 12% of patients who had the DePuy hip replacement system were having revision or replacement surgery. Due to a flaw in the design, several patients experienced serious health problems a few years after having the device implanted. The general trend for replacement treatment or product is about 10 – 15 years. However, in the case of the DePuy hip replacement systems, corrective surgery was necessary within five years after getting hip implants. The recall does not cover all DePuy hip replacement patients and only those who received the DePuy hip devices after July 2003 were likely to qualify for possible compensations. Bearing in mind the potential for side effects and legal challenges, it is highly recommended that patients consult with a DePuy hip replacement lawyer.
Complications Resulting from DePuy Hip Replacement
Several patients reportedly experienced some side effects and were recommended for revision treatments a few years after having the DePuy hip replacement. Some of the complications that resulted from the DePuy hip replacements included:
- Hip cups becoming wobbly or loose,
- Displacement and rupturing of the hip,
- Sensitivity, pain and inflammation,
- Potential for more corrective surgery,
- Metal deposits found in bloodstream and areas around the implant,
Damage to muscles and tissues around the hip joint and tissue mass growth.
- Other personal discomfort and non-medical problems may include financial and economic loss due to high medical expenses as well as work and wage losses.
Why you need to have a DePuy Hip Replacement Lawyer
With the complexities of lawsuits, having a qualified and experienced lawyer in medical product liability is important to successfully litigate your case. Some of the expert help that a DePuy hip replacement lawyer may offer includes:
- Helping you understand as well as to protect your legal rights,
- Improving your chances of getting the best or full compensation possible that may cover pain and discomfort suffered, loss wages and upcoming medical needs and other unexpected requirements.
- Providing consultation for your specific case and filing a claim and safeguarding any possible settlement,
- Explaining and dealing with statutes of limitations, which may be applicable depending on the state where you live,
- No upfront money or charges is required unless the lawyer gets a recovery on your behalf.
If you have had hip replacement surgery since July 2003, you should consult with a DePuy hip replacement lawyer to see if you qualify for compensation. However, you need to act now before the statutes of limitations expire.