Divalproex Sodium is used to control certain types of seizures and to control manic episodes in bipolar people. It can also be used to prevent migraine headaches, although it can’t be used to relieve migraine pain once it begins. It works by increasing the amount of a natural substance in the brain.
This medication can cause serious and irreversible liver damage. Certain people are more susceptible to liver damage than others:
- Children under the age of two
- People on several anti-seizure medications
- People who have cognitive disabilities
- People who have an inherited disease that interferes with the body’s ability to convert food to energy
- People who already have liver disease.
This medication can also cause acute pancreatitis, a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas. If you experience severe stomach pain, vomiting and nausea while on this medication, get emergency medical assistance.